Wednesday, July 4, 2007

My Damaged Foot

So right before we left for baseball on Saturday, as I was walking out the front door, my ankle rolled. Have you ever done that? It hurts. It hurts A LOT. I have done it many times before, but something told me this was a bit different. As I said epletives to myself (Trevor was right in front of me, or else I may have said them out loud). I sat down with a tear in my eye. But we had things to do, places to go, so off to baseball we went. I thought if it still hurts when Brian gets home from work, maybe I'll go to the ER. But by the time 10:30pm rolled around, I was too tired. I had to work the next day, and by the end of my shift, the ER wasn't too busy, so I figured I'd head on up the the ER. The triage nurse sent me on my way to slower - I mean faster - care where I got some xrays taken. The Faster Care doctor examine me for all of about 35 seconds and decided I had a fracture.


A nurse came in and gave me the most wonderful invention in the world - this aircast. Now let me tell you, with every step I talk, even with my pitiful limping, everytime my right foot hit the ground it felt like a sharp dagger was going through every mucle and bone in the right side of my foot. I put this fancy aircast on - and the angels sang. I could actually stand and walk with very little pain.


I was told to follow up with a podiatrist, which I did the next day. Upon further review of my xrays, she said there was a small line on one of the bones in my foot that "might be a fracture, but she's not convinced" We may find its a stress fracture (basically a hairline fracture) but that is very difficult to see on xrays until you see signs of bone healing. So I will wear this cast for 2 weeks, which is when I follow up with her next. On the information sheets at the foot doctor's office, they asked what my goal of the visit was, I quickly replied "for my foot to be better by August 3rd, because that is when we leave for our Alasakan cruise, for our 10 year anniversary.

1 comment:

Steve & Amy said...

Oh NO!!! We're sorry to hear this news:( But, look on the bright side... you can still scrapbook with no pain, right? Hope you get feeling better soon!